(As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing)

<< Linkage >>

Personal...

personal photos (updtd 01 June 06)

TE favorites

Indices...

Blue Mountain 1, 2

Honduras/Nicaragua 2005

Long Bay (March 2006)

VBS 2006 1, 2, 3

Friends...

Bekah

Jenn

Recommended...

KCRW stream

sky.fm: classical guitar

WNRN stream

Tools...

bible.gospelcom.net

Jamaica ESSO map

mas linkage (wx links)

wikipedia.com


<< Sarcasm Scale >>

An explanation...

[0] = drop dead serious

[1] = no sarcasm, take it at face value

[2] = light banter

[3] = sarcastic, but still in a good mood

[4] = very sarcastic, almost enough to make you take a step back and say, "whoa"

[5] = very sarcastic, perhaps a skosh overboard [3] (and typically it means I'm upset)


j5 200908194.2007

28 June 2006 04:58

Ready for a little history?

Port Royal is a rather hot and muggy little fishing town out at the end of the Palisadoes Penninsula—the selfsame penninsula that the Kingston international airport is located on.  You can get a feel for modern day Port Royal at this random photojournal off the internet (but you can believe what you see becuase I saw the real thing and it looked like what this photojournal looks like).  And as the satelite shows, there's really not a whole lot to it.  

But there used to be a lot lot more.

If you zoom in on the map, you can see Fort Charles (started 1655).  Compare then with this rather fanicful map of pre-1692 Port Royal.  If you prefer something a wee bit more scholarly, try this helpful map from Texas A&M.

By now perhaps you've gathered that something happened in 1692.  You're right.  An earthquake did a fair job of burying the town in one piece, I believe the words "liquify" and "flow" have been used to describe the movement of the sand upon which the city was built.

I could insert a very compelling discussion here describing the wickedness of "the wickedest city on earth" (17th century) and the resultant Judgement of God.  Or perhaps I could refer not-so-subtly to foolishness of men who build houses upon sand.

I could.  But I'm not going to.  (I just found it interesting enough to point out though).

Instead I'm going to discuss the thorougly engaging subject of chamber pots.

(you think I'm joking, don't you).

Actually, i'm not going to "discuss" per se, but instead will refer you to an actual discussion.  Texas A&M's Nautical Archaeology Program has been investigating off and on the portion of Port Royal that is still sitting preserved on the harbour floor since 1981.  The Port Royal Project has some interesting reading, including an indepth case study of a contemporary pewterer from Port Royal's heyday.  But what really struck my fancy was this masterpiece entitled A Matter of Convenience by Christine A. Powell.

Har har.  Just the type of wit you'd expect from a graduate student.

But all in all she has a fascinating presentation, I learned all about things that 99% of historical or period fiction conveniently forgets to mention.  The author then ties in archaeological items (specifically chamber pots) found in Port Royal as a case study, including at the same time a description of sanitary conditions in Jamaica at the time (not pretty).

Just not-so-subtle reminder that things weren't exactly "better in the good ol' days".

I had another of those just yesterday, as I read Rascal by Sterling North.  He talked about how he felt like he'd been born too late (b. 1906) to experience Wisconsin to its fullest.  He spoke of many areas being deforested.  I always tend to think the same way, but I'm coming to the conclusion that the US is probably much more forested now than it was before lands began to be protected.  Yes the population count (of people) is much higher, but at least the National Parks and Forests are firmly established in my time.

Now, in case reading about chamber pots didn't really tickle your fancy, I have another tantalyzing subject for you.  A lay-person friendly article entitled New world screwworm and its appearance in the eastern hemisphere by R.E. Reichard.  Yes, it's easy to read, but not necessarily the most interesting of subjects I guess.  Interesting to me, but then {shrugs} I have my reasons : ).  Its a just a bit dated; Panama declared eradication in January 2005, and the plant in Panama is currently under construction.

There's also Selections from the Screwworm Eradication Collection courtesy of the UDSA's National Agricultural Library.  It's mostly older (pre 1980's), but has some interesting bits like this sign.

Well, I think I'll let you work on that.  Hope you weren't trying to eat supper while surfing...

04:58   email me   permalink / commentary (0)



<< add comment >>

Powered By Blogger TM

gostats.com  

statcounter.com