(As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing)

<< Linkage >>

Personal...

personal photos (updtd 01 June 06)

TE favorites

Indices...

Blue Mountain 1, 2

Honduras/Nicaragua 2005

Long Bay (March 2006)

VBS 2006 1, 2, 3

Friends...

Bekah

Jenn

Recommended...

KCRW stream

sky.fm: classical guitar

WNRN stream

Tools...

bible.gospelcom.net

Jamaica ESSO map

mas linkage (wx links)

wikipedia.com


<< Sarcasm Scale >>

An explanation...

[0] = drop dead serious

[1] = no sarcasm, take it at face value

[2] = light banter

[3] = sarcastic, but still in a good mood

[4] = very sarcastic, almost enough to make you take a step back and say, "whoa"

[5] = very sarcastic, perhaps a skosh overboard [3] (and typically it means I'm upset)


j5 200908194.2007

28 August 2006 17:43

One Sunday (that happened to be a a beautiful spring afternoon) back in April the twins and I decided to take a driving tour.  One of our stops was the Confederate Breastworks at Fort Edward Johnson.  We spent some time tramping around the trail and chuckling at the signs.  The signs were for the most part copies of letters from one Lieutenant Sheperd Pryor to his wife back home.  He was a good ol boy from Georgia stationed there during the winter of 1862.
February 23, 1862

My Dear Penelope,

I write a fiew lines this morning to let you know that I am well & doing as well as I have since Iv been in the service.

Well, Dear, wee had an allarm Friday knight about two oclock, and the way wee got around quick untwill we were all way ready was a site.  The regiment formed & was ready in ten minutes.  Marched up to the intrenchments, got in the ditches and they were half full of snow.  It was cold business, sure.  I marked time for three hours to keep my feet from freezing, but when the day dawned wee did not have to fight: I dont want to fight as long as wee can do as well without it.  I dont want to be shot at: some of them stand a good chance to hit a fellow.  I want to see the close of this war & live at home a free man once more.

Give my love to all my friends.  Kiss the babies for me.

I am yours.
Shep

It was cold business, sure.  That's one way of putting it...

  
part of the trench, did I mention it was a beautiful spring day?  and then on across the ridge a view of Highland County.  Slightly less populated than Rockingham.

17:43   email me   permalink / commentary (0)



<< add comment >>

Powered By Blogger TM

gostats.com  

statcounter.com