22 April 2008 18:23
Driving to and from the airport this past week brought back some good memories. Roland and I used to have an informal competition going on who could pass the most cars in one go on the way home (with due considerations given to safety "of course"). The place to do this was on the Palisados Peninsula where there's a 5.5km stretch between the airport entrance roundabout and the Harbour View roundabout. Visibility and road conditions were good for much of that distance and the speed limit was 80km/h. Roland held the record at passing an even dozen cars going the same direction in one pass. I can't remember for sure what my record was, but I wasn't far behind him. The other thing to count was total cars passed within that 6km stretch which could easily exceed 15. I must point out that passing 12 cars in one go was a rarity...conditions had to be just right, whereas passing four or five in one sitting was more common. For instance, the highest I got in four days of driving back and forth this past week was seven (one, one, three, and a final two before reaching the second roundabout). Something to think about, 5.5km is just over 18,000 feet. That's 1200 feet/car when passing 15 on that stretch, or one car every 11 seconds at 120km/h (75mph).But like I said, I only made it to seven this time around and wasn't terribly enthusiastic about making it that high. I don't think I'm getting old and responsible, I think I'm just getting old and lazy (or worse: no longer ten foot tall and bullet proof).
18:23 email me permalink / commentary (0)
