16 August 2008 15:54
Here's an interesting article:A rich Arab has caused uproar after reportedly putting his Lamborghini on a 6,500-mile round trip to Britain — for an oil change.Doesn't this sort of thing really tick you off?
The $376,000 supercar was put on a flight from Qatar to Heathrow Friday before being flown back after the service, the U.K.'s Sun newspaper reported Thursday.
The transport of the Murciélago LP640 – driven by Batman in "The Dark Knight" — would have cost the owner — believed to be a Sheikh — about $40,000, the paper reported.
The move sparked fury from employees at Heathrow.
“This car doesn’t have a carbon footprint — more of a crater,” one airport worker told the paper.
The overall cost of sending the black-and-gold supercar to London for the oil change would have cost more than $45,000, The Sun reported.
On Monday, the vehicle was flown back to Qatar. (full article here)
I can't figure out which is upsetting me more. The fact that I don't have a Murciélago LP640 to drive, or the carbon crater comment. He probably thinks he was pretty witty (The Sun obviously does), but I'm guessing he'd be singing a different tune if he were able to tell his buddies, "The Murciélago? Oh, it's not here right now, it's in the shop getting an oil change. What? Oh no, you can't trust the guys around here, they'd sell their grandmother for a copper nickel if they had half a chance; no I send it to a guy I know in the other hemisphere, he takes good care of me and gets the car back to me the next day. I was planning to drive the Veyron this afternoon anyway." Talk about bragging rights.
Sure a lot of money went down the tubes. But that money came from guys like the carbon crater guy buying oil in the first place, so I don't think he has a lot of room to complain. Especially since he's probably complaining (and talking to reporters) while on the clock for his employer. No waste there [4].
15:54 email me permalink / commentary (0)
