17 January 2009 23:55
This overlays the USA on top of Europe. Fascinating how small it makes places like the UK seem...let's see, it takes three days to drive across the States, how long will it take to drive across England? Same thing with Israel.Having struck down some personal misconceptions there I continued on to Japan, where I would never in my life have imagined could look like this. My mental stereotype ran more along these lines.
Strange Maps has some very interesting posts. example 1 / example 2.
Here are some aerial pictures of the area I've been flying over in the last couple days...beautiful in its own way but I'm very glad I don't live anywhere near. Info and random facts about Valentine, TX.
I was always curious how much it cost to get one's business advertised on those blue signs along interstate...in VA it looks like $800 to $1000 per annum. Numerous states have privatized the operation care of Interstate Logos LLC (a Lamar subsidiary), Arizona's logos are taken care of by the creatively named Arizona Logo Sign Group, which posts the criteria for being allowed to purchase advertising space on the interstate signs (easy to read and surprisingly educational). This answered a question I have long had, that is, why the {creative adjective} wasn't walmart on them? ...it's because it doesn't fit any of the categories (although a walmart with corresponding gas station might be arguable). I think they need a new category: Gas, Food, Lodging, Camping, Attraction, & Walmart. Also check out these specs. I tried to find specifications for the interstate system itself, but couldn't find anything free (this is $20 but would probably be an interesting read). wikipedia came through with an abreviated version.
The black hole that is wikipedia led me to this overview of the "Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways", which then led to the pages for the individual routes (I-70 for example). Fascinating trivia, but even more fascinating (the "I can't believe I'm wasting my time like this but it's so interesting" sort of fascinating) is this website detailing the interstate system with a phenomenal number of pictures (I-70 again). Kyle and I were mucking about the west tunnel entrance below Rockfish Gap over the New Year's break and fell to wondering when construction on I-64 was completed. It took a while, but I finally found the answer at vahighways.com. From 340 up to the Gap opened in '72, and down the east side to Crozet opened in '73...much later than I'd assumed.
Going back to Lamar, I'd always wondered too what it cost to advertise on a billboard. Here is a table of rates for VA, I felt significant need for a legend or at least an acronym glossary, but none was to be found. Best I can decipher, it'll cost you >$500/mo. to have one billboard in a rural area. Or you can put an ad up on thirteen 14' x 48' billboards in Richmond for a mere $62,000 per month if you like.
I have now managed to cull the number of tabs I have open in firefox down to 5. I can't remember the last time I had it down this low, probably back in December. I feel like an internet pack rat.
23:55 email me permalink / commentary (0)
